Musée National Eugène Delacroix
Home > Museum : From the Studio to the Museum > The Building

The Building

Entrance of the museum
Entrance of the museum

© Musée du Louvre / Angèle Dequier

The access to the apartment
The access to the apartment

© Musée du Louvre / Angèle Dequier

Delacroix occupied an apartment facing the courtyard of the upper floor of this building from late December 1857 to his death in August of 1863.

A large double door and a semicircular arch lead inside from the street. An independent staircase situated in the center of the facade, leads up the apartment rented by Delacroix, who had exclusive use of the small, enclosed garden (approximately five hundred square meters).

These buildings probably date from the very late seventeenth century, when Cardinal Egon de Furstenberg was renovating the abbatial palace. They were probably among the outbuildings, which would explain the mediocre quality of the construction and the fact that the façades were not faced.

A detailed history of these buildings, both in terms of architecture and history, has not yet been undertaken.

Top of the page
Musée du Louvre
Credits | Contact us | Friends of the museum | Online Communities | Delacroix’s correspondence | Shop online