Delacroix was a member of the Paris city council in 1851, and maintained a significant presence in the capital on both sides of the Seine through his various apartments and studios, and his decorations for public and religious buildings. He lived in a succession of 10 different homes and changed studios six times. Delacroix decorated the Salon du Roi (1833-1838) and the library (1840-1846) of the Assemblée Nationale, and the library of the Sénat (1840-1851).
He painted the central section of the Galerie d’Apollon (1850-1851) at the Musée du Louvre.
The former Hôtel de Ville, destroyed by fire in 1871, also had an entire decor by Delacroix, painted for the Salon de la Paix around 1851-1854. With the exception of this latter work, a ceiling sketch of which is now in the Musée Carnavalet, all the decors are still in their original sites. These include the Christ in the Garden of Olives, commissioned in 1824 for the Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis church. The chapel of the Virgin in the Saint-Denis-du-Saint-Sacrement Church is decorated with a Pietà (1840-1844).
The paintings in the Saints-Anges chapel in the Saint-Sulpice Church deserve special mention. From 1849 to 1861, the artist worked relentlessly to complete this decor that was particularly important to him.